Thank you to the room parents who were able to attend our coffee social on Nov. 14. This is the inaugural post in a new category on our blog that will provide helpful tips and information to room parents!
Here’s a question that came up at the meeting: what is the role of a room parent at Maurice Hawk? Here are some things a room parent might do:
- Help plan and run class parties, which may occur about 4 times a year; however, some teachers may prefer to run parties on their own.
- Create an online space for sharing class photos, such as on Shutterfly
- Third grade room parents will be asked to collect photos for the yearbook at the end of the year
- Coordinate teacher gifts from the class at the holidays, for staff appreciation week in May, and at the end of the year
- Volunteer in the classroom occasionally or coordinate parent volunteers when classroom activities warrant it
- Plan class playdates to allow the children to socialize outside of class
Here are some things you asked for that the PTA may be able to help with:
- Template email for requesting parents donations for teacher gifts
- Template release form for creating a closed Shutterfly group, for sharing pictures and contacting parents
- WhatsApp group for room parents to support each other with party ideas etc.
- Blog posts on easy no-money teacher gifts
- Guidance on handling parents volunteers, from too few to too many
- Room parents happy hour!
We will use this new blog category to post information that is useful to room parents! When applicable we will link posts to Facebook and WhatsApp. Thank you for your service to our students!